Employment Opportunity – Communications Officer
Hen Mpoano (Our Coast), is a not-for-profit organization focused on the inclusive and integrated management of Ghana’s coastal and marine ecosystems towards the generation of long-term socio-economic and ecological benefits. We provide technical, policy and extension support to coastal communities, emerging civil society groups, traditional authorities, government institutions and the private sector through capacity building, research, networking and project development in fisheries and coastal ecosystem governance.
Hen Mpoano is working in partnership with the Ghana Fisheries Recovery Activity (GFRA), a 5-year project (May 2021 to April 2026) which is funded by USAID, to prevent the collapse of the small pelagic fishery sector while improving supplemental livelihoods, resilience, and food security. We work in the Central and Western Regions to facilitate the implementation of small pelagic fisheries co-management processes. In the Greater Cape Three Points area, Hen Mpoano conducts education and outreach to support establishment of marine protected areas. In addition, through innovative communications, Hen Mpoano delivers key messages to influence positive fishing behaviors among fisherfolk constituencies in the Western and Central regions. Hen Mpoano is seeking a dynamic and motivated individual to fill the position of Communications Officer.
Location of position: Sekondi-Takoradi
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
The communications officer will work with the Hen Mpoano technical team in Takoradi and the USAID GFRA Social and Behavior Change Communications Specialist to implement education and outreach initiatives towards behavior change in Western and Central Regions’ fishing communities.
Specifically, he/she will:
- Facilitate development of campaigning strategies of fisherfolk leaders and local fisheries management structures.
- Develop skills of fisher folk constituencies in campaigning for responsible fishing behaviors.
- Lead the production of success/change stories (of beneficiaries) for the project
- Lead the design and implementation of Participatory Action Media (PAM) within the Greater Cape Three Points area towards strengthening awareness and support for marine protected areas establishment.
- Develop materials for marine education and outreach in communities abutting prospective marine protected area in Cape Three Points
- Provide content for GFRA supported communication materials
- Create and manage all Hen Mpoano social media handles and content
- Utilize innovation communication tools to facilitate engagements among fishers to address illegal fishing behaviors.
- Prepare weekly updates on Hen Mpoano-supported activities for the GFRA.
- Excellent writing and analytical skills
- Proficiency in English Language and Fante
- Strong understanding of fishing communities.
- Strong understanding of governance processes and dynamics in Ghana’s fisheries and coastal sector.
- Basic graphic design
- Strong leadership and team-building skills.
- Excellent proficiency in MS Office applications.
- Exceptional organizational and multitasking abilities.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- High standards of professionalism and a commitment to excellence.
- Familiarity with project monitoring and evaluation systems.
- Capability to lead multi-stakeholder processes involving various entities like CSOs, traditional authorities, and government institutions at local and national levels.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Development Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, with minimum of 2 years relevant work experience.
Interested candidates, particularly females, are encouraged to submit their cover letter and CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject of email should be Communications Officer.
- Application Deadline, September 05, 2023