Employment Opportunity – Fisheries Liaison Officer
Hen Mpoano (Our Coast), is a not-for-profit organization focused on the inclusive and integrated management of Ghana’s coastal and marine ecosystems towards the generation of long-term socio-economic and ecological benefits. We provide technical, policy and extension support to coastal communities, emerging civil society groups, traditional authorities, government institutions and the private sector through capacity building, research, networking and project development in fisheries and coastal ecosystem governance.
Hen Mpoano is working in partnership with the Ghana Fisheries Recovery Activity (GFRA) which is a 5-year project (May 2021 to April 2026) to prevent the collapse of the small pelagic fishery sector while improving supplemental livelihoods, resilience, and food security. Hen Mpoano works in the Central and Western Regions to facilitate the implementation of small pelagic fisheries co-management processes. In the Greater Cape Three Points area, Hen Mpoano conducts education and outreach to support establishment of marine protected areas. In addition, through innovative communications, Hen Mpoano delivers key messages to influence positive fishing behaviors among fisherfolk constituencies in the Western and Central regions. Hen Mpoano is seeking two (2) dynamic and motivated individuals to fill the positions of fisheries co-management officers.
The Fisheries Liaison Officer will work closely with the Site Level Activities Manager at Hen Mpoano to provide capacity building, coaching and mentorship support to fisheries co-management committees in the Western and Central regions.
Location of position: Sekondi-Takoradi
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
The Fisheries Liaison Officer will play a major role in facilitating the implementation of all co-management-related activities. Specifically, he/she will:
· Organize workshops to develop operational guidelines for co-management committees.
· Create dialogue platforms for co-management committees to engage fishing communities on the implementation of key fisheries management measures.
· Facilitate regional multi-stakeholder engagement on key fisheries management measures.
· Conduct training for co-management committees on key small pelagic fisheries management priorities identified by the National Marine Fisheries Management and Operational Plan.
· Conduct participatory needs assessment of fisher folk associations and facilitate their implementation of capacity development action plans.
· Train and empower women and youth who are members of fisheries. management associations to actively participate in small pelagic fisheries co-management activities.
· Support participatory planning and conservation of critical fisheries habitats.
· Support fisheries data collection and analysis
· Excellent writing and analytical skills
· Proficiency in English Language in Fante
· Strong understanding of fishing communities.
· Strong understanding of governance processes and dynamics in Ghana’s fisheries and coastal sector.
· Strong leadership and team-building skills.
· Excellent proficiency in MS Office applications.
· Exceptional organizational and multitasking abilities.
· Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
· High standards of professionalism and a commitment to excellence.
· Familiarity with project monitoring and evaluation systems.
· Capability to lead multi-stakeholder processes involving various entities like CSOs, traditional authorities, and government institutions at local and national levels.
· Ability to conduct scientific research under minimal or no supervision
Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Fisheries Sciences, Natural Resources Management or related disciplines with a minimum of 2 years relevant work experience.
Interested candidates, particularly females, are encouraged to submit their cover letter and CV to: email@example.com. Subject of email should be Fisheries Liaison Officer.
- Application Deadline: September 05, 2023